My Five Favorite Non Justin Faulk Cards I own

For those who know me personally or read this blog are likely to know that I am a Huge Justin Faulk Card Collector. Owning over 160 different cards of him I spend the majority of my time searching and trading for cards of Justin Faulk that I do not already own. This weekend I patroned a local card shop when we went to visit my in-laws. Having previously lived in the town the owner knows me rather well, and though he was glad to see me he quickly informed me that he had no Justin Faulk's that I did not already own. When I shared this via social media, fellow blogger and hockey nut Sal Berry of Puck Junk ( which is a great site to check out) suggested that I begin to PC (personally collect) another player as well. That simple social media comment made me realize that I have not shared many of the other cool cardboard pieces I own that don't have Justin Faulk's likeness on them. So without further ado The Following cards are my five favorite Non Justin Faulk Cards I own.

1. Eric Staal Young Guns 2003-2004
Eric Staal still plays in the NHL!  He is heading into his 16th year in the NHL and currently plays for the Minnesota Wild. The fact Eric Staal is still in the league should not surprise anyone, even though his back is probably shot from carrying a weak Hurricanes team from 2010-2016. There is no doubt that when he retires his number 12 jersey will in fact hang in the PNC Arena. However this card represents his entry into the league as the Young Guns in many ways remains the first true rookie card in an NHL Players career.

2.Brock McGinn Ultimate Threads 2015-2016 #5 of 10
Brock McGinn is a grinder! The career third liner recently became a household name for his game seven heroics against the Washington Capitals. Scoring the Game Winning Goal helping the Canes to a stunning upset of the defending champions. This Upper Deck Autographed Debut Threats numbered to just ten ranks as one of my favorites within my PC!

3.Jaccob Slavin Upper Deck Premier Rookie 2015-2016 #240/399
I have always been a bit more critical of Jaccob Slavin than your average Carolina Hurricanes Fan. While I feel he is a solid defender I don't see him as the elite defender and Norris Trophy Candidate other Canes Fans like to portray him as. However, I love this card for one reason. That reason is I am a father and my kids are  my pride and joy. My youngest picked this card out at a card show recently and decided to spend her 5 dollars on it for me. So I will ALWAYS treasure it.

4.Teuvo Teravainen 2017-2018 SP Game Used Frameworks
This one just caught my eye. Tuevo Teravainen has been an underrated star for the Hurricanes this year registering just over 70 points he has been the perfect wingman to Sebastian Aho. This card caught my eye due to the fact its a Game-Used Relic shaped into the outline of his jersey and encased in glass like card. Making it one of the more unique cards in my PC.

5. Andrei Svechnikov Team Issued Card Upper Deck 2018-2019
As I mentioned before the Young Guns are the first rookie card for collectors so naturally I was on the hunt for the 2018 Number 2 Overall Draft Pick Andrei Svechnikov's Young Guns as soon as Upper Deck Series 2 was released. Coincidentally the March 23rd Hurricanes home game against the Minnesota Wild was team card night, with the added bonus that the purchase of any Upper Deck cards from the team store would get you a special addition card of Rookie Andrei Svechnikov. Well Imagine my surprise then the special edition card (featured on the right) was merely his Young Guns Card without the Young Guns Logo. The Lazy Eccentricity from Upper Deck quickly made this rather basic card one of my favorites.

Well at the time of this writing the Canes are still hanging tough in the NHL Playoffs having recently taken a 2-0 series lead over the New York Islanders. So as the playoffs continue I must return to Ebay in search of any other cool Carolina Hurricanes cards that I can unearth and purchase. So until next time Thanks for reading an Redvolution!


The Caniac Collector








Comments

  1. Nice choices--those team issues can be tough to track down as their distribution doesn't lend itself well to secondary markets in many cases. And you can't go wrong with that McGinn (though you failed to mention how he also kept them in the game with the goalie save!).

    I started an Aho collection for my son (ok, who are we kidding--it's mine!) and have pick up some decent "other" players along the way--Staal, McGinn, Slavin, etc. Bing a former Jagr-only collector it is tough for me to chase after an entire team now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't mention McGinn saving the goal because honestly us canes fans are spoiled because he is done that several times throughout the year as for scoring goals... I've often said if you got points for hitting the crossbar McGinn would be chasing Gretzky. either way thank you for reading and commenting I love talking to other collectors about their hobbies and as for your "son" Aho is good one 😂😂😂😂😂

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Forgotten Canes: Mike Commodore and his bathrobe.

Eric Staal is the most Underappreciated Hurricane of All Time

It's Cardboard Therapy!